We head out and drive up the hill to where the cable cars are located. It’s running so we park and buy tickets. After waiting in a short line we finally hop a cable car. They cram like 65 people into one and once it takes off the center and outer edge of the car spin in one direction while the rest of the car spins in another. It allows everyone to get a 360 view while we head to the top. Liza is situated near the middle so when it starts spinning she decides to grab a handle. Instead she grabs the car operator’s rear end. Of course, by the time we’re at the top he and another employee have introduced themselves to her.
The top of Table Mountain is beautiful. You’re surrounded by clouds and amazing views in every direction. There are so many picture opportunities, one doesn’t know where to start. The three of us are snapping away for about 30 minutes before we decide to eat brunch. Just before we go in I see something that makes me think of my mom. I take a picture of it, just to prove I was thinking about her high on top of a mountain in South Africa.
We get a large breakfast (the Mountain Climber, even though we took the cable car instead). It has eggs, sausage, steak, mushrooms, baked beans, hash browns, toast. We also get the makings for mimosas. It’s a beautiful meal outside with the views of Cape Town.
We head down right after brunch and decide to go to the VA Waterfront to shop and exchange money. I don’t do a bad job getting us there and we head first to change money. From there we do a bit of personal shopping and then stop for coffee and chocolate cake. It was an energy pick-me-up! Of course, it doesn’t last me long shopping with Liza.
We then head to a couple of stores to buy gifts and then Liza and Roger split up into two stores, with me running between the two. Liza buys more dresses in our attempt to have her embrace her feminine side. She looks great in them. After several hours of non-stop shopping, I’m done. We leave about four hours after we arrive.
Then we drive to the main drag in Camps Bay (and get total princess parking) and shop with the street vendors. We buy masks and statuettes and other items. Most of these vendors are not South African, but they’re very kind. I spend some time talking to an interesting Indian guy who sells sarongs about business opportunities in Cape Town. Very interesting. From there we finally head home.
We download tons of pictures and then get ready for dinner. We go to dinner at a Thai restaurant and all of us rate the food as average. Nevertheless we have a good time and head home after.
At home we crack open a bottle of wine and some more chocolate for our tastings. The chocolates we have are all dark, one with orange, one with pear, one with sea salt and the last one with chili peppers. The pear one isn’t bad and neither is the chili pepper one. The other two are not nice to drink with wine. We kill the bottle and here I am now, blogging and on the verge of passing out.
Tomorrow we have only basic plans regarding getting money to the township tour operator to pay for the supplies we are going to donate and to buy Amarula to ship back home. We also have to find the store that will pack the boxes and ship it for us. I can’t believe that in just a few days I’ll be back home. I’m not sure I want to go home, but I know I miss people, my cat and even sometimes, work. Gasp! I’m sure I won’t be saying that long after I return!
2 comments:
I have followed your blog daily, not sharing it with anyone! This sounds like a truly amazing trip and I am so glad that you got to go. Was worried on day 1. Travel safely
Pat
'King' Rey! Thank you for the company and entertainment at lunch today - you should rent Lisa out!! We're going to be pub hopping in Long street tonight - if you guys get bored with the chocolates, please join us.
Gillian.
Post a Comment