Saturday, December 13, 2008

Saturday, December 13, 2008

So today we didn’t get as much done as we wanted to get done. We decided to sleep in and not wake anyone up. I was up early and sorted all the little gifts I’m bringing back into Florida (family) ones and non-Florida ones. By the time I was done, Liza and Roger were up. After a slow start we go down to the main strip and buy a few more items and decide on a place for lunch. Today it is a place called Paranga.

It’s funny because now we’re recognized by some street vendors and waiters. I think it’s because Liza leaves such an impression. It actually makes me feel like I’m creating a home here by building personal connections with residents. Hmm.

At one shop I ask for help and the girl is showing me where things are. I think to myself, “There’s something off about her. She’s speaking funny.” When I focus on it, I realize that she’s American and from California. I’m starting to think an American accent is funny! See? I’m getting hooked into this place.

At lunch we are served by our waiter, Serge. Serge is from the Ukraine, but has also lived in Israel before moving to Cape Town. He has a shaved head and not so great teeth, but he’s really fun. We start with drinks. I order a spicy cucumber martini, Liza a bellini and Roger gets a drink that tastes like a Jager Bomb to me. When we go to order food, I decide to get a round of shooters. Serge suggests a berry-flavored one. I ask to keep the drink menu on the table, just in case. (By the way, I ordered ostrich filet and it’s very good.)

We get our food, do the shooters and order a second set of drinks. We decide to do another round of shooters. There are 8 on the menu and it’s Roger’s turn. He orders a chocolate flavored one. Liza tries to give Serge the menu back and he says, “Better leave it on the table.”

Sure enough, Liza orders next and gets one called the Banana Blow Job. It tastes a lot like banana liqueur. My turn and we order a lemon drop one (that ends up being 2.5 shots each), then a coffee one, then a regular Blow Job, then another coffee one. It is a little overboard, but as Liza says, we’re celebrating our last Saturday in South Africa.

Sometime at the beginning of lunch a family is seated next to us. By the time we’re at the lemon drops Liza has struck up a conversation with the mom, Gillian. She, her son, daughter and a friend are in Cape Town for a couple of months because her daughter is modeling. Her daughter is stunning. The friend is a photographer, but was hired on by the modeling agency and shot his first commercial just that morning.

Gillian is awesome. She’s funny, open-minded, smart. She and Liza connect quickly and we are soon buying shots for their table and talking like we’ve known each other a long time. It’s so great to meet good people while traveling. They eventually have to leave and we should leave so that we don’t drink anymore. We take a picture with Serge, who was our best waiter yet, and head back to the house.

Back at the house we each do our own thing. I connect with my friend Andrew and agree to meet up for dinner. Andrew takes us to a restaurant named Bezerka. It was voted the best restaurant in Cape Town and it doesn’t disappoint. We all leave very full.

I met Andrew online like six months ago. He’s awesome. He’s a solid guy with a good sense of humor and a great way about him that makes you want to get to know him more and more. I just found out yesterday that he is also friends with Bons and German. It’s a small world.

After dinner Andrew shows us around downtown Cape Town. We see Long Street, where there are tons of popular bars, and an empty Green Market Square, where vendors set up stands and sell things during the day. It’s a quick tour. Roger is getting tired. We get home and Andrew and I talk for a bit longer before he has to go. He has to get up early to move his belongings into a new home. We plan to get together on Sunday.

I quickly check Facebook after he leaves and see that Gillian, who I added as a friend earlier, has sent an email asking us to meet them at Long Street tonight. Unfortunately we’re all in bed at this point. Maybe we’ll catch up with her tomorrow.

Tomorrow we have to find Liza a suitcase. If you’ve read her blog (if she’s written about this yet, she’s so far behind) you’ll know that she has been having issues with an over-stuffed and overweight bag. She’s also gone crazy buying things here so now she doesn’t have enough room to put everything in her suitcase. She’s talked about just donating half her clothes so she can fit stuff in her bag. Sad. Instead we’ll find her a second suitcase.

Since we couldn’t find a packing and shipping company open today, we’re going to have to lug everything to Johannesburg and have it sent through the hotel where we’re staying. Once up there we can also buy the Amarula.

Oh, I also forgot to mention that on Wednesday night I met up with another friend, Renier. He’s Afrikaans and a totally nice guy. We went for some beers and talked about the culture here and Afrikaaners versus the English and race relations. It was very cool since I love topics like these.

I only mention this because this also heightens my desire to stay and explore things here more. Although we’ve been here for almost two weeks, I don’t think we have a full appreciation for what it’s like to live in South Africa. Somehow I have to find a way to build a business connection here so I can return and spend more time in the future. I have to think about how I’m going to do this. In the meantime, I’m off to bed.

No comments: