Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Tuesday, December 16, 2008 FAREWELL TO SOUTH AFRICA!

What a lazy day! After an ass-dragging morning, we finally go out to grab brunch at 12:30p. Thankfully there is a nice mall next to the hotel, so we just walk over there. On the way we stop by some street vendors. We see some cool masks, but we’re accosted by all the other vendors at the same time. Since we’re hungry we tell the mask guy that we’re coming back after we eat.

Eating here is always an event. We usually do multiple cocktails and Liza likes to order a lot of food, most of it to share, whether we want to or not. It’s funny to see them place plate after plate of food in front of her and have Liza look at us and say, “You’re going to have some, right?” Roger is so agreeable he always says yes. Since I feel like a hippo now, today I pass on sharing. Of course, that means I have room for dessert. This vacation has not been good for our diets, even though I don’t feel like I’ve gained any weight.

After we eat we walk around the mall to find packing supplies. The concierge last night brought us boxes that weren’t ideal and bubble wrap that was mostly used up. After buying additional items in the mall, like Amarula and biltong, we head back out to the street vendors.

Again, we’re mauled by them. Liza is a favorite target and at times holds three conversations at once. On our first pass with them, they offered us discounts and then yet to be determined quantity discounts. When we return they’re less in the mood to haggle. After about half an hour, we finally get what we want and pay mostly what we want.

We hurry back to the hotel and finally find a concierge who knows what she is doing. She is going to ship things for us and it makes the trip a whole bunch easier. There will be less hassle with Customs and a lot less weight to carry. Hallelujah!

Now we’re in our room, finishing our packing. The shuttle to the airport arrives in just over an hour. We’re already set to go. Liza is the only one not shipping anything. I hope that works out for her. Even more, I hope the items Roger and I are shipping will be okay.

Being in Johannesburg was a letdown after such a great trip. Liza went out with Gareth last night to the casino and he showed her where he lives and his parents’ home. She got to see more of Joburg than we did. I am just not interested. Most of the jobs are in Joburg so it makes moving to Cape Town even more a remote possibility. I will explore it a little more when I get back home.

In the meantime, we’re doing last minute things. I will sign off from the blog by saying that this has been the experience of a lifetime. I can’t imagine another trip like this and I’m so glad I’ve been able to do it. I’m blessed with friends like Roger and Liza to share this with me. Going back to my regular life will be very odd at first. Up until arriving in Johannesburg I wasn’t sure if the transition would be very easy. Now I’m thinking it won’t be so tough. However, this trip solidifies that I need to travel internationally more often. There are certain things in my life that I truly value and traveling to explore other cultures and places is at the top of that list.

Until the next exciting experience in my life, so long from South Africa. Thanks for being a part of it with me.

No comments: