I didn’t sleep well last night. I kept waking up. I’ve also been having crazy dreams about evil people trying to get me. I wonder what that means? Needless to say I got up a little early and I’m all packed, showered and ready to go.
We’re leaving the house at 9:30a to head to the airport. Our flight isn’t until 12:20, but with finding out way to the airport, dealing with traffic, returning the rental car and then checking in, I thought it was best to leave a little early. I’m not so excited about going to Johannesburg. I either want to stay in Cape Town or just go back home. Johannesburg doesn’t have too much to see and it’s a lot more dangerous. Gareth can only meet us for lunch tomorrow, so we’ll see how much we explore.
Right now I’m waiting for Lisa, our guide to the township, to show up so we can give her the money we want to donate to the crèche. She was supposed to be here 30 minutes ago. I hope she shows up!
After finishing our packing and getting directions to the airport, we decide to leave. Lisa never showed. We get to the airport without incident. We turn in the rental car without incident (phew!) and we even get checked in without paying overweight fees. Nice!
I must say that packing the car with luggage is a challenge. Both Liza and Roger have extra bags. When we get to the airport car rental return, the guy brings us a luggage cart and starts to pull bags out of the back seat. I then pop the trunk and he sees what’s in there and his eyes get really big and he says “ohhh” and we both start laughing. He says, “I think you will be needing another cart.”
Once past security we decide we need to eat something. We go to a place called “Sports Café”. We order our food and they bring over utensils. They’re plastic and wrapped in a napkin. Upon first inspection my utensils are horribly dirty and used! I ask the waitress to get me a good set. She brings back another set that are used. The napkin is sealed by some unknown substance (saliva, snot, who knows?). I decide to put them aside and not touch them again. If anything makes me ill here, it will be this one meal. We find out later that metal utensils have been restricted for security, but to reuse plastic utensils is just plain wrong!
We are seated in the front row. That means there’s no room for our bags. One flight attendant is not very nice and I’m not in the mood for her. I keep my cool and we’re on our way to Johannesburg. We order drinks. Liza and Roger two-fist it. I just get one drink. Another flight attendant makes a funny face when Liza orders the drinks, like she’s thinking we’re some major alcoholics. She’s dead wrong. I’m not. I can’t speak for Liza and Roger!
Our flight goes without incident. Upon debarking from the plane, Roger struggles with his bag and happens to drop one carry-on on the flight attendant I don’t like. It was an accident, but I think karma had a lot to do with it.
We get to baggage claim, gather our stuff and then have to ask around to figure out how to get to the hotel shuttles. We’re told our hotel has one. When we get to the shuttle terminal we’re told they don’t. I call the hotel and they say they’re sending one right away. After several phone calls and an hour later, our shuttle driver appears. Again, when loading Liza’s bag, he makes a struggling noise. These poor guys.
The hotel is the Protea Hotel Balalaika. It’s a 4-star hotel—in Africa. It’s a step above an old Holiday Inn. Oh well, it’s a bed.
Gareth meets us shortly after we arrive and we grab dinner. Then he and Liza go to the casino while Roger and I come back to the room to check email and blog. We’re so exciting, us old guys!
I’m going to bed soon. I’m tired and I don’t want to think anymore about how much I miss Cape Town. I’ve already been strategizing on how I can get back there. Someday…
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment