Monday, December 15, 2008

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Today I woke up a few times before getting out of bed at around 7:30a. I spend most of the morning fixing pictures and organizing my belongings. At some point Roger is up and quietly working on his pictures. We wake Liza up at 11:30a. She was up, but just lying in bed.

The weather is gloomy and foggy today. We hear a foghorn going off most of the morning. Since it’s so late we decide to go to lunch first. We have a nice lunch at Blues. The food is decent and the 2 for 1 drinks doesn’t hurt either. During lunch we watch people playing volleyball on the beach. Liza wants to play, but I haven’t played in a very long time and Roger is a bit rusty also. We’ll see how it pans out.

The goal for today was to buy Liza another suitcase. After lunch we check at a shop that sells touristy things, along with bathing suits, towels, etc. They only have small duffel bags. Andrew is stopping by for a little bit so we head back to the house.

Back at the house Andrew shows up. The poor guy has had a rough weekend—from his sister losing her car keys and both of them staying up all night until the car is towed to her house to moving today and waiting around for his dad to show up to get into his home. He’s a bit tired, but we hang out and talk. Liza and Roger head out to buy a suitcase.

Andrew only stays for about an hour and I take the opportunity after he leaves to nap on the patio. I sleep for only about 15 minutes and then check emails. Liza and Roger are taking a long time to come back and I’m a bit concerned. I text them and less than two minutes later they’re walking through the door. They didn’t find a suitcase at the shop on Long Street, where we saw a shop last night (it was closed), so they headed to the beach and played volleyball for a few hours. It turns out another shop near the one we tried earlier today had a bigger duffel bag.

I’m still a bit full from lunch, but we have to go to dinner before it gets too late. We head to Hassars, just down the road. We were told the first night it’s a pretty good place to eat. The restaurant décor is a la smoking room or study. We all order a gin and tomato soup and receive these vats of soup. Liza and Roger finish theirs, but I can’t get more than halfway through. For our mains, Liza orders a steak and Roger and I order the warthog ribs. We receive these four massive ribs on our plate. There is no way I can finish that. I force myself to eat two (they’re good!) and along with Roger’s leftovers we pack it up to try to give away tomorrow.

After dinner we just head back home to finish our laundry, pack and catch up on emails before going to bed. We are leaving the house at 9:30a tomorrow for our 12:20p flight to Johannesburg. The plan is to just have dinner the first night, along with organizing to have our stuff shipped to the US. The next day we plan to meet Gareth for lunch at the Cradle of Civilization and get ready for our long flights back home. I can’t believe the trip is almost at an end.

No comments: